Activated charcoal has become an almost magical word, especially in the skin care industry. Its effectiveness, usefulness, after-effects, side-effects have all been debated for a long time and quite rightly so. However, the truth of the matter is that there is still a lot of confusion regarding activated charcoal, especially since there aren’t many scientific evidences proving anything.
Use of activated charcoal has been seen for ages. In fact, Egyptians have been known to use it to purify wounds using this form of charcoal. The lack of any scientific evidence means that there are many people who cannot completely trust its effectiveness. While there may be no concrete scientific research that proves the effectiveness of activated charcoal, there is ample evidence of people who have openly praised it and said how beneficial it has been to them. In fact, keeping this in mind it is not really any wonder that today top cosmetic brands are launching skincare products that are being made using activated charcoal.
What is Activated Charcoal
Many confuse activated charcoal with briquettes that are used to heat a grill but essentially they are both very different. Their only similarity is that both are the residue of carbon-rich organic materials such as peat, wood and coconut shells. However, the similarity ends here. To make activated carbon, charcoal is heated using steam or hot air which makes the charcoal extremely porous – so much so that it gets oxygenated. The heat erodes the internal surface, increases the exterior surface and makes it so adsorptive that it gets the capacity to pull out the toughest of stains or dirt from any surface.
It is mainly due to this reason that activated charcoal has for a very long time been used by emergency units in hospitals to treat overdosed or poisoned patients. Activated charcoal can pull out the poisonous elements before it can harm the human body majorly.
Use of Activated Charcoal in the Beauty Industry
There are increasing number of evidences towards the fact that activated charcoal works to remove dirt, grime, excess oil from the skin. That is probably the reason why it is becoming increasingly fashionable to use a face scrub or a body mask which is made using this miracle ingredient. There are quite a few types of skincare products that have activated charcoal as its primary ingredient. Let’s take a look at them –
- Body Scrubs – Body scrubs made using activated charcoal are very effective. Body scrubs help remove the deep-seated dirt and pollution that take the face of ugly patches all over the body. Regularly washing the body with soap and water doesn’t do much to remove these things that get ingrained into the body. But with an activated charcoal-infused body scrub you can easily get rid of the dirt and grime without affecting the suppleness of the skin.
- Teeth Whitening Products – Activated charcoal toothpaste and other teeth whitening products are increasingly becoming popular mainly because they help you get sparkling teeth without you having to make even a single visit to the dentist. Once you start to regularly use activated charcoal to whiten your teeth, you can see the effect almost immediately. Activated charcoal helps get rid of stains and impurities that not only spoil the look of your face but can also cause long-lasting, internal damage. You can get activated charcoal toothpaste, whitening wand and whitening powder to keep your teeth pearly white.
- Peel-Off Mask – Peel-off masks made using activated charcoal are very common. In fact, they are most easily available. Not only are they easy to use but you can see an instant difference after every use. All you need to do is apply a thin sheet of the mask on your face, wait for it to dry which takes about 15-20 minutes and then gently wash your face. The regular impurities that tend to stay on the face for far too long get removed, leaving you with a clean and clear face.
- Eye Masks – Under-eye baggage are very common and almost every woman complains of them. Getting rid of the dark circles and the puffiness may seem an impossible task for someone who has never used an activated charcoal eye mask. Here we are talking about a miraculous skincare product using which you can see the difference almost immediately.
- Blackhead Removers – Acne and blackhead are long-lasting problems for many women. You can either resign your fate and live with acne and blackheads or use activated charcoal infused blackhead peel-offs to see an instant difference.
Benefits of Using Activated Charcoal
It is quite evident from the number of skincare products that are made using activated charcoal how evident it really yes. But it is wise to summarize the benefits of it, which we have done below.
- Helps Get Rid of Impurities – We have already mentioned that one of the advantages of using activated charcoal is that it is adsorptive. It is because of the porous nature of activated charcoal that it pulls out dirt, pollution, excess oil that gets trapped within the skin pores. Simply put activated charcoal helps remove impurities.
- Gently Exfoliates the Skin – Since it can remove impurities that get deeply ingrained inside the skin, it in the process also gently exfoliates the skin. When using a face scrub, you have to gently rub it all over the face which is nothing but gentle exfoliation. This form of exfoliation doesn’t harm the soft skin.
- Helps Remove Excess Oil – Excess oil within the skin is a result of over-exposure to dirt and harmful chemicals. Excess oil also attracts impurities which then leads to an unending cycle. But using activated charcoal infused skincare product ensures that the excess oil is washed off, leaving behind skin that is hydrated.
While activated charcoal can bring effective changes to your skin, it must be used wisely and not indiscriminately. Excess use of activated charcoal can expose the skin to harshness. However once in a while or at least once a week is enough. If you want long-lasting results, use activated charcoal and see the difference for yourself.
Please follow and like us: